Thursday, March 4, 2010

Day 18 - Mainit!!!

Water lilies!
Note the glaring reflection of the SUN!!!!

Oh my goodness it is SUPER hot here! I mean it's hotter than an Italian woman's armpit hot...yes...and if you think you can make fun of Italians well, you can't -- only I can because I am part one. It's a black thing. haha. Ok. My ratial slamming time is done. So the title of this blog says "Mainit" pronounced "my-ee-nit" and it's the Tagalog word for "hot". But while I know that word I have yet to learn how to say, "It's hot, this country is FREAKING HOT" in Tagalog...but I'm working on it. ;)

I think the heat has something to do with the humidity factor of the tropics as well. I mean, I'm from California so I'm not foreign to the concept of "mainit" but man...desert heat is different from sticky, humid, oppressive tropical heat. Luckily for me, I get to be in "air-con" as they call it here...at least for now while I complete my four-week training session. On March 14 I'm going to be going to another part of the Philippines called "Subic Bay" for a week as a break/vacation. I'm excited about that. But I'll talk about that later when it's actually closer to happening!

As for today, a break-through happened at the store today! While I was shopping I found a little carton (250 grams) of 99.9% fat free, plain yogurt! Uhuh...you know it!!! Party at my house, tonight!!! Haha, I don't think you properly appreciate the significance of this quite momentous discovery! The whole time I've been here I've never seen fat-free, plain yogurt before...I'm so happy about this. I would have bought the whole freaking shelf full..heh, who am I kidding, there were only like 20 total on the shelf -- probably in the entire Philippines. Shoot, they're so going to be gone....heh, now that I think of it in that way, I probably should have bought them all. I would have too, but then I found out that they cost 49 pesos............each.

That's over 1 whole stinking dollar! That's like a dollar and 10 cents for half a cup of plain yogurt...ugh...I definitely cannot afford to buy that. So I bought one...just one...*sigh*
Oh well. I don't care that much, but I'm realizing that is something I definitely miss about being home. :( I'm realizing how many amazing food options there are in America. Everything here is so primitive or imported and SUPER expensive and there are practically no diet associated products at all. But there are also far less yummy bad foods as well, so I guess I should be thankful! :)

4 comments:

  1. You are so funny! lol.

    It's pretty hot here too... 18 degrees lol. BUT the sun is out so it's a nice day :)
    Sorry your yogurt is so expensive! Wow.
    It looks like you are upbeat today, and that's awesome. Even though your yogurt is so expensive, and it's crazy hot- you are still positive :) You go girl lol.
    Have A Great Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny, That IS funny that we are on at the same time LOL. It's 12:38am Saturday here now :)
    I JUST got done writing, and realized I didn't name it, I went back and saw your comment!
    So I thought I'd hurry over here and say "HI!" just in case you are still on LOL.
    Thanks so much for your comments and you have a great weekend too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, no it's not LOL. It's Friday morning not Saturday morning LOL. I haven't lost my mind... It is late but I have a good excuse for not knowing what day it is LOL!
    My son has the day off school tomorrow, so he is still up and it seems like a Friday LOL. Ok, just wanted to clear that up so no one thinks I'm completely nuts! So have a good night ( or day LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha Tina you're hilarious! haha too bad I only saw your comment now!! Heh, we could have been on at the same time longer!

    ReplyDelete